Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Man shall not live on bread alone...

This is week 2 of the Read-a-long through "Seven" by Jen Hatmaker.  This week's topic of food: 

I once heard a story from my mother-in-law about a medical missions trip to Africa.  She told a heartbreaking story about a woman who's little boy was dying of malnutrition.  The medical team informed her that her son would live if she could only give him one egg to eat per week.  She teared up and told them that she could not afford even that small amount, even to keep her baby boy alive. 
     Last weekend, while at dinner at my in-laws house, a conversation was started about some movie that all of them had seen involving something of an apocalypse.  They were discussing something about what would happen if our food supply were damaged or possibly what would happen if our water supply were contaminated.  They talked about the possible need for starting a garden in the back yard, so they could be self sufficient or maybe storing up food and water.  My first instinct on hearing about this was fear, followed almost immediately by the thought to shut down this thought train.  I have a lot of things that I am deathly afraid of, most of them totally irrational, like fear of going spontaneously crazy and feeling the need to run out of a room screaming at any given time (which my wife assures me isn't going to happen.  But you never know).  The last thing that I need is to allow myself to become obsessed with a possible doomsday scenario.  Then I got to thinking about what this means about us as a society that we spend time thinking and planning what if scenarios for unlikely food shortages in one of the richest countries in the world.   There are parents and children all over the world that don't know when/if their next meal will come from.  They worry for how they will feed themselves tomorrow, which is a very real worry.  And we go through the mental exercise of worrying about what we would do if a meteor were to strike nearby, our food supply were poisoned or zombie apocalypse and other such nonsense.  We worried about storing up months/years of food and water in case the financial system collapsed in Y2K.   We are one of the richest countries in the world and we have lost touch with reality.  We worry and prepare for a lot of things and yet we take for granted the things that are truly important.  It reminds me of Jesus' parable of the rich fool.  When I think about possible future catastrophe, I wonder what would happen to the church in America if Christians were to face fierce persecution, what if the Bible were outlawed and we did not have access to God's written word?  We worry about hypothetical food shortages and yet God says "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God."(Matthew 4:4)  How much Bible are we taking in?  How much of God's word are we storing up within ourselves?  I can live on much less food than I currently live on, but I starve myself from that which gives life.  Oh LORD, give me hunger pangs for your sustaining Word, let me feel the parched mouth of one who longs for your living water.  "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God." (Psalm 42:1)  My heart longs to see my King Jesus, to feast with Him at the marriage supper of the Lamb.  God help me!

No comments:

Post a Comment